Winehouse's mysterious health problems
Singer Amy Winehouse is in the hospital after fainting in her north London home on Monday. Do doctors really need to run tests on Winehouse to understand what's wrong with her? said celebrity blog The Superficial. Well, Winehouse did collapse right after
Singer Amy Winehouse is in the hospital after fainting in her north London home on Monday. Spokesman Chris Goodman said an assistant caught Winehouse before she hit the ground, and she soon regained consciousness. Goodman added that initial medical tests were inconclusive. She “seems to be fine in herself, but they are taking their time to be sure,” he said. (AP)
What the commentators said
So, doctors are reportedly unsure what caused Winehouse to faint, said celebrity blog The Superficial, and they need to run some tests. “Really? Because I’m pretty sure it was a [massive amount] of drugs. I don’t have a Ph.D., but I think I’ve got this one figured out."
Well, Winehouse did collapse right after she heard the news about her incarcerated husband, Blake Fielder-Civil, said Nico Hines in the Times Online, so maybe that had something to do with it. Apparently, Fielder-Civil offered a fellow prisoner £20,000 to physically attack Pete Doherty, who he believed was having an affair with his wife.
Whatever the cause of her collapse, said Finbarr Bermingham in culture magazine The Skinny, the only surprising thing is that Winehouse has stayed upright this long. “The news comes six months after Amy’s mother, Janis, scarily predicted her daughter would be dead within a year.” Judging from Winehouse’s continued troubles, her mother may turn out to be right.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week