Singer Amy Winehouse is in the hospital after fainting in her north London home on Monday. Spokesman Chris Goodman said an assistant caught Winehouse before she hit the ground, and she soon regained consciousness. Goodman added that initial medical tests were inconclusive. She “seems to be fine in herself, but they are taking their time to be sure,” he said. (AP)
What the commentators said
So, doctors are reportedly unsure what caused Winehouse to faint, said celebrity blog The Superficial, and they need to run some tests. “Really? Because I’m pretty sure it was a [massive amount] of drugs. I don’t have a Ph.D., but I think I’ve got this one figured out."
Well, Winehouse did collapse right after she heard the news about her incarcerated husband, Blake Fielder-Civil, said Nico Hines in the Times Online, so maybe that had something to do with it. Apparently, Fielder-Civil offered a fellow prisoner £20,000 to physically attack Pete Doherty, who he believed was having an affair with his wife.
Whatever the cause of her collapse, said Finbarr Bermingham in culture magazine The Skinny, the only surprising thing is that Winehouse has stayed upright this long. “The news comes six months after Amy’s mother, Janis, scarily predicted her daughter would be dead within a year.” Judging from Winehouse’s continued troubles, her mother may turn out to be right.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Science: Cuddling is key to a committed and loving relationship
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Subscribe to the Week