Winehouse's mysterious health problems
Singer Amy Winehouse is in the hospital after fainting in her north London home on Monday. Do doctors really need to run tests on Winehouse to understand what's wrong with her? said celebrity blog The Superficial. Well, Winehouse did collapse right after
Singer Amy Winehouse is in the hospital after fainting in her north London home on Monday. Spokesman Chris Goodman said an assistant caught Winehouse before she hit the ground, and she soon regained consciousness. Goodman added that initial medical tests were inconclusive. She “seems to be fine in herself, but they are taking their time to be sure,” he said. (AP)
What the commentators said
So, doctors are reportedly unsure what caused Winehouse to faint, said celebrity blog The Superficial, and they need to run some tests. “Really? Because I’m pretty sure it was a [massive amount] of drugs. I don’t have a Ph.D., but I think I’ve got this one figured out."
Well, Winehouse did collapse right after she heard the news about her incarcerated husband, Blake Fielder-Civil, said Nico Hines in the Times Online, so maybe that had something to do with it. Apparently, Fielder-Civil offered a fellow prisoner £20,000 to physically attack Pete Doherty, who he believed was having an affair with his wife.
Whatever the cause of her collapse, said Finbarr Bermingham in culture magazine The Skinny, the only surprising thing is that Winehouse has stayed upright this long. “The news comes six months after Amy’s mother, Janis, scarily predicted her daughter would be dead within a year.” Judging from Winehouse’s continued troubles, her mother may turn out to be right.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week