Best Columns: Funding oil, Poor attitudes
Oiling your portfolio
As everyone knows, “oil is in a raging bull market,” says Brett Arends in The Wall Street Journal. And “if you’re sitting on the sidelines, you are missing out on profits.” You’re already “on the other side of this market,” paying exorbitant gas prices, so you might as well cash in. And it’s not too late. Oil is at record highs, but “so far, the boom has left big oil stocks trailing.” The safest way for average investors to buy in is by slowly investing in a fund that invests in big oil companies, like an exchange-traded fund. It’s true that “no investments are perfectly safe,” but the shares of big oil companies “already anticipate a pretty sharp fall in the oil price.” Comparatively, big oil today isn’t that big of a risk.
Why the long face?
Ask Americans about the economy and “their answer is stark,” says Neil Irwin in The Washington Post. They’ll say “it is not just bad, it is run-for-the-hills terrible.” But is it? “Soft? You betcha. In recession? Quite possibly.” But when you look at “most broad measures” of the economy, “it’s not that grim.” Unemployment isn’t that high, not so many jobs have been shed, and GDP is still growing. So why the disconnect? Maybe the things that are up (gas and food) and down (home values) affect most people more often. It could also be that we’re just used to good times, so any downturn “feels terrible.” But real or not, it matters what we think—pessimism can easily become a “self-fulfilling prophecy.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week