The Washington Post
The out-of-wedlock birthrate in the U.S. is 38 percent. Twenty-eight percent of white children are born to a single mother, with the figure rising to 50 percent among Hispanics and 71 percent for blacks.
The Wall Street Journal
To improve its chances of winning Olympic medals, China runs 3,000 special academies where 400,000 young runners, weight lifters, swimmers, and other athletes are rigorously screened and trained for hours every day.
One in four adults in New York City is infected with the genital herpes virus, according to a new study by the city’s health department. The infection rate there is 7 percentage points higher than the national average.
More than 7,300 taxpayers earning $200,000 or more in 2005 paid no federal income taxes. These canny citizens used charitable deductions, credits for foreign taxes paid, and other loopholes to reduce their tax liability to zero.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- The secrets of happy families
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
Subscribe to the Week