Criminal offenders, Out-of wedlock birthrate, Olympic academies
The number of Americans in custody or under supervision in the criminal justice system rose to 7.2 million in 2006, the most ever.
The number of Americans in custody or under supervision in the criminal justice system rose to 7.2 million in 2006, the most ever, the Bureau of Justice Statistics reported last week. More than 2 million offenders were behind bars, another 4.2 million were on probation, and nearly 800,000 were on parole.
The Washington Post
The out-of-wedlock birthrate in the U.S. is 38 percent. Twenty-eight percent of white children are born to a single mother, with the figure rising to 50 percent among Hispanics and 71 percent for blacks.
The Wall Street Journal
To improve its chances of winning Olympic medals, China runs 3,000 special academies where 400,000 young runners, weight lifters, swimmers, and other athletes are rigorously screened and trained for hours every day.
One in four adults in New York City is infected with the genital herpes virus, according to a new study by the city’s health department. The infection rate there is 7 percentage points higher than the national average.
More than 7,300 taxpayers earning $200,000 or more in 2005 paid no federal income taxes. These canny citizens used charitable deductions, credits for foreign taxes paid, and other loopholes to reduce their tax liability to zero.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Adrian Peterson and our misguided debate about spanking
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
Subscribe to the Week