on’t panic, invest
If you don’t have a retirement plan, said AnnaMaria Andriotis in SmartMoney, “don’t panic.” If you employer doesn’t offer a 401(k), ask your boss to start one. Many small business owners “would be willing,” but have never been asked. If that doesn’t work, or you’re self-employed, invest on your own. Growth stocks without “tax-laden dividends” are a good first step. And contribute to an IRA -- tax-deferred or a Roth. Once you’ve maxed it out, consider variable annuities. The important thing is “not to put it off. The later you start, the harder it will be to rack up the savings you'll sorely need."
Good is smart
Google’s corporate motto—“Don’t be evil”—is also good business advice, says Thomas Kostigen in MarketWatch. Companies that practice corporate social responsibility, “that care about the people and communities in which they operate,” have higher levels of employee satisfaction, productivity, and retention. “And all that adds up to higher profits.” Sure, firms that “engage in strictly bottom-line activities” can be profitable, too, but “the jury is out on ‘for how long.’” So when a business tackles “the age-old question of which is better: To rule by love or fear?”, far-sighted ones will choose love.
Free the iPhone
Go ahead and unlock your iPhone, says Tim Wu in Slate. “Unlocking works, is doable, and improves the iPhone.” And despite Apple’s insinuations, it is also legal. But while the process is “a cinch for a supergeek,” only “maybe one in 20” regular humans will be comfortable doing it. That “gives AT&T and Apple a degree of protection from a major unlocking wave.” To be safer still, Apple “struck back” at “disobedient iPhone owners” with a software update that “can turn unlocked iPhones into ‘bricks.’” What are they thinking? “Apple is making its product less valuable to its most loyal fans, and that’s a big mistake.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
Subscribe to the Week