Oil prices remained high on Monday despite a pledge by Saudi Arabia to increase production. Traders doubted that adding 200,000 barrels to Saudi Arabia’s 9.5 million-barrel daily output would have much impact on prices. (TheStreet.com)
What the commentators said
It’s time to sue OPEC, said Darren Bush, Harry First, and John J. Flynn in The Christian Science Monitor. The member states call themselves the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, but “organization” is a misnomer. OPEC “is, pure and simple, a cartel that manipulates markets, restricts output, and fixes prices.”
Congress “missed the mark” when it tried to pass legislation to make the government file anti-competition lawsuits against OPEC’s member states, said Donna Wiesner Keene in The Washington Times. President Bush, rightly, threatened a veto because that would have invited retaliation. And congressional Democrats’ other pet policies—a windfall profits tax on oil companies and price controls—were no better. “Casting scapegoats and villains won't address our energy challenges.”
The only way to get the Saudis to open the spigots enough to provide relief is to “scare them silly,” said Jacob Heilbrunn in the Los Angeles Times. To do that, the U.S. can’t just cut its gasoline demand, it must make a real push to conserve energy, encourage new technologies, and develop alternative fuels, from solar to nuclear power, “that will help wean it from its dependence on foreign oil. Until then, the Middle East will continue to have Washington where it wants—over a barrel.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week