Good Day, Bad Day
Green lights, aging rock stars
GOOD DAY FOR: Green lights, as General Electric is axing 1,400 lighting-division jobs and closing several plants that make incandescent light bulbs. As consumers switch to more energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs, sales of the traditional bulbs invented by GE founderThomas Edison are declining by at least 10 percent a year. (Bloomberg in Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Aging rock stars, as artists like Bruce Springsteen, the Police, and Van Halen are being outsold by 14-year old Miley Cyrus, the star of a hit Disney Channel show and the daughter of country star Billy Ray Cyrus. The average ticket price for her 54-date tour is $230, and one ticket sold for $2,565. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week