Good Day, Bad Day
Green lights, aging rock stars
GOOD DAY FOR: Green lights, as General Electric is axing 1,400 lighting-division jobs and closing several plants that make incandescent light bulbs. As consumers switch to more energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs, sales of the traditional bulbs invented by GE founderThomas Edison are declining by at least 10 percent a year. (Bloomberg in Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Aging rock stars, as artists like Bruce Springsteen, the Police, and Van Halen are being outsold by 14-year old Miley Cyrus, the star of a hit Disney Channel show and the daughter of country star Billy Ray Cyrus. The average ticket price for her 54-date tour is $230, and one ticket sold for $2,565. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week