Good Day, Bad Day
Green lights, aging rock stars
GOOD DAY FOR: Green lights, as General Electric is axing 1,400 lighting-division jobs and closing several plants that make incandescent light bulbs. As consumers switch to more energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs, sales of the traditional bulbs invented by GE founderThomas Edison are declining by at least 10 percent a year. (Bloomberg in Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Aging rock stars, as artists like Bruce Springsteen, the Police, and Van Halen are being outsold by 14-year old Miley Cyrus, the star of a hit Disney Channel show and the daughter of country star Billy Ray Cyrus. The average ticket price for her 54-date tour is $230, and one ticket sold for $2,565. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week