Rat-a-tat-tat dining, Anna Nicole's lingerie, Steak au hair
A restaurant with an armed-conflict theme opened this week in strife-torn Beirut.
Arestaurant with an armed-conflict theme opened this week in strife-torn Beirut. Located in a neighborhood loyal to militant group Hezbollah, “Buns and Guns” has a dining room strung with camouflage netting, where diners can relax to the sound of recorded gunfire while enjoying such dishes as “Terrorist Bread” and “Rocket Propelled Grenade” (chicken on a skewer). “They accuse us of terrorism, so let’s serve Terrorist Bread,” said owner Yousef Ibrahim. “Why not?”
Larry Birkhead, the father of the late Anna Nicole Smith’s baby daughter, has spent thousands of dollars buying Smith’s lingerie at auction, says Us Weekly. Birkhead reportedly spent $2,800 on a pink bustier and a white negligee worn by Smith in a Playboy photo shoot, later telling reporters that daughter Dannielynn, 1, will one day be curious about her mother. “I have a lot of history I have to put together,” said Birkhead. “Playboy was such a big part of Anna’s career.”
A Wisconsin restaurant cook has pleaded guilty to food-tampering for garnishing the steak of a complaining customer with strands of hair. Ryan Kropp, 24, was apparently upset that the customer demanded a new steak, and admits he inserted hair into the second piece of meat. Kropp said he plucked the hair from his face, but a co-worker testified that Kropp gleefully told the kitchen staff, “These are my pubes”—a slang term for pubic hair.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week