From the magazine
International pop star Shakira has pledged $40 million for victims of a recent earthquake in Peru and a hurricane in Nicaragua. The Colombian-born singer, best known for her hit single “Hips Don’t Lie,” also announced a three-year,
$5 million commitment for projects designed to alleviate child poverty in the region. “I have seen firsthand many of the challenges facing Latin America,” she said. “These are problems that no one person can address, but working together, everyone can help make a difference.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How to make classic pulled pork
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
Subscribe to the Week