rom the magazine
International pop star Shakira has pledged $40 million for victims of a recent earthquake in Peru and a hurricane in Nicaragua. The Colombian-born singer, best known for her hit single “Hips Don’t Lie,” also announced a three-year,
$5 million commitment for projects designed to alleviate child poverty in the region. “I have seen firsthand many of the challenges facing Latin America,” she said. “These are problems that no one person can address, but working together, everyone can help make a difference.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week