rom the magazine
International pop star Shakira has pledged $40 million for victims of a recent earthquake in Peru and a hurricane in Nicaragua. The Colombian-born singer, best known for her hit single “Hips Don’t Lie,” also announced a three-year,
$5 million commitment for projects designed to alleviate child poverty in the region. “I have seen firsthand many of the challenges facing Latin America,” she said. “These are problems that no one person can address, but working together, everyone can help make a difference.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- The end of academic freedom?
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner*
Subscribe to the Week