Best business commentary
College students are about to learn the hard way about the dangers of going into debt, said BusinessWeek. Free wireless Internet for all would be great, said John Dvorak in MarketWatch, but wealthy Internet providers will make sure it doesn't happen.
Plastic on campus
College students will be inundated with credit-card offers as they return to campus, said Jessica Silver-Greenberg in BusinessWeek, and many haven’t been taught how to handle the responsibility. For some, a credit card simply provides a convenient way to pay for essentials, such as books and food. For others, “easy access to credit will lead to spending beyond their means and debts that will compromise their futures.” If credit-card companies don’t start offering young customers “financial education” as well as free Frisbees and other enticements, they’ll find themselves facing new regulations.
No such thing as a free Internet
The nation's free wireless Internet initiatives "are dying one by one," says John Dvorak in MarketWatch.com. Yes, "free universal access to the Internet would be of great benefit to society as a whole," but the idea just "steps on too many powerful toes." Notably those of AT&T and Comcast, whose "bags full of money" can pretty easily "derail any sort of free programs that would threaten their businesses." But that's par for the course in the U.S. When it comes to communications, we're always "the last country you can expect to modernize in any meaningful way."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
Subscribe to the Week