Best Business Commentary
Your electronic devices "are sucking the money out of your wallet as you sleep," says Warren Swil in the Los Angeles Times. The danger posed by Chinese imports "has been highly exaggerated," says Peter Quinter in The Miami Herald.
eware the energy vampires
Your electronic devices "are sucking the money out of your wallet as you sleep," says Warren Swil in the Los Angeles Times. Most modern appliances—TVs, computers, microwaves, stereos, electric razors—have "standby" modes that make the device look like it is off. It isn't. It's in "a state of reduced activity that requires only minimal power consumption." Minimal is good, but millions of always-on machines "adds up to huge amounts of wasted energy." If you're willing to trade "convenience for conservation," turning off your electronics instead of putting them to sleep will cut your energy usage by up to 20 percent.
Give China a break
The danger posed by Chinese imports "has been highly exaggerated," says Peter Quinter in The Miami Herald. "Less than 1 percent of total U.S. goods imported from China" have been subject to recall, and the FDA lists only 16 "import alerts" for Chinese products—four fewer than for Mexico. And don't forget the "2.3 million dishwashers, 3.7 million candles, 620,000 pressure washers, and 72,000 air compressors" made in the U.S. that have been recalled this year. Instead of indulging in "the current China-bashing frenzy," we should focus on "raising product safety standards worldwide and strengthening the regulation of all goods that cross U.S. borders."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Surviving a plane crash
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ted Cruz and the most cynical, despicable political stunt of the year
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- Everything you need to master Chinese cooking
- The greatest sniper duel in history is a myth
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week