The Bottom Line
Most major airlines raise their fares.
Airline shares rose yesterday after Southwest Airlines raised its fares over the weekend and most major airlines followed suit. The airlines blamed high fuel costs. (MarketWatch) But while most consumers try to avoid higher fares, an Australian businessman agreed to pay $100,380 for two one-way first class tickets on the first commercial flight of the superjumbo Airbus A380 jet. Singapore Airlines auctioned off the tickets, and higher bids are expected for the return flight. (Also MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why insects are the future of food
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week