The Bottom Line
Most major airlines raise their fares.
Airline shares rose yesterday after Southwest Airlines raised its fares over the weekend and most major airlines followed suit. The airlines blamed high fuel costs. (MarketWatch) But while most consumers try to avoid higher fares, an Australian businessman agreed to pay $100,380 for two one-way first class tickets on the first commercial flight of the superjumbo Airbus A380 jet. Singapore Airlines auctioned off the tickets, and higher bids are expected for the return flight. (Also MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week