The Bottom Line
Most major airlines raise their fares.
Airline shares rose yesterday after Southwest Airlines raised its fares over the weekend and most major airlines followed suit. The airlines blamed high fuel costs. (MarketWatch) But while most consumers try to avoid higher fares, an Australian businessman agreed to pay $100,380 for two one-way first class tickets on the first commercial flight of the superjumbo Airbus A380 jet. Singapore Airlines auctioned off the tickets, and higher bids are expected for the return flight. (Also MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
Subscribe to the Week