The Bottom Line
Most major airlines raise their fares.
Airline shares rose yesterday after Southwest Airlines raised its fares over the weekend and most major airlines followed suit. The airlines blamed high fuel costs. (MarketWatch) But while most consumers try to avoid higher fares, an Australian businessman agreed to pay $100,380 for two one-way first class tickets on the first commercial flight of the superjumbo Airbus A380 jet. Singapore Airlines auctioned off the tickets, and higher bids are expected for the return flight. (Also MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
Subscribe to the Week