The Bottom Line
Most major airlines raise their fares.
Airline shares rose yesterday after Southwest Airlines raised its fares over the weekend and most major airlines followed suit. The airlines blamed high fuel costs. (MarketWatch) But while most consumers try to avoid higher fares, an Australian businessman agreed to pay $100,380 for two one-way first class tickets on the first commercial flight of the superjumbo Airbus A380 jet. Singapore Airlines auctioned off the tickets, and higher bids are expected for the return flight. (Also MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
Subscribe to the Week