This is the kind of news that makes you feel warm all over, said Brian Juergens on the AfterElton.com blog. “While Abby will likely never write a column devoted to gay issues,” at least she’s sending “a message of acceptance and respect" toward the gay community. And hopefully her message will spread more broadly—her column is syndicated in over 1400 newspapers, and its “folksy, old-fashioned” style seems to appeal to people “who might be considered more conservative readers.”
Dear Abby should start looking for a new career, said David R. Usher in MensNewsDaily.com, because now her “street cred is irrevocably in the red.” She used to provide “generally wise insight and suggestions” but now she’s “fallen off the wagon and down the bellybutton of Socratic narcissism.” She supports gay marriage just “because a few scientists pushing feminist agenda issued a meaningless report suggesting that genetics causes homosexuality.” If you follow that logic, “anything the heart wants is now acceptable, even if it kills people, leads to child sexual abuse, destroys America, or establishes tragic vast socioeconomic inequalities between man and women.”
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secrets of happy families
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Is the rent really too damn high?
Subscribe to the Week