Best Business Commentary
It’s time to rediscover “the old-fashioned virtue called thrift,” say Ray Boshara and Phillip Longman in Newsday. If the Fox Business News channel wants to topple the champ, CNBC, it “has to win by a knockout, pure and simple,” says Jon Friedman in Market
return to thrift
It’s time to rediscover “the old-fashioned virtue called thrift,” say Ray Boshara and Phillip Longman in Newsday. Thrift didn’t used to mean “cheap or stingy,” but rather “the wise use of resources” and “an abhorrence of waste.” Those virtues are in short supply today, and “reviving the American thrift ethos won’t be easy.” But we can do it with “one of the most powerful forces in human nature: inertia.” Employers and government officials should help “make saving easy, automatic, and frequent” through default 401k or IRA deductions, savings-oriented cash incentives, and British-style from-birth savings accounts. “The American dream” depends on it.
The Fox-CNBC title match
If the Fox Business News channel wants to topple the champ, CNBC, it “has to win by a knockout, pure and simple,” says Jon Friedman in Jon Friedman in MarketWatch. It can’t just “trade punches” in the looming “street fight in pinstripes.” FBN has muscle in its corner—its corporate affiliation with Dow Jones and “aces Neil Cavuto and Alexis Glick,” for example—but “CNBC won’t exactly drop to the canvas.” For FBN to triumph, it needs to show “the trademark swagger of the Fox News Channel,” to “look and act like a winner on day one.” So stay tuned. “Ding! Ding! Ding!” Round one begins on Monday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why we need a maximum wage
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week