Best Business Commentary
It’s time to rediscover “the old-fashioned virtue called thrift,” say Ray Boshara and Phillip Longman in Newsday. If the Fox Business News channel wants to topple the champ, CNBC, it “has to win by a knockout, pure and simple,” says Jon Friedman in Market
return to thrift
It’s time to rediscover “the old-fashioned virtue called thrift,” say Ray Boshara and Phillip Longman in Newsday. Thrift didn’t used to mean “cheap or stingy,” but rather “the wise use of resources” and “an abhorrence of waste.” Those virtues are in short supply today, and “reviving the American thrift ethos won’t be easy.” But we can do it with “one of the most powerful forces in human nature: inertia.” Employers and government officials should help “make saving easy, automatic, and frequent” through default 401k or IRA deductions, savings-oriented cash incentives, and British-style from-birth savings accounts. “The American dream” depends on it.
The Fox-CNBC title match
If the Fox Business News channel wants to topple the champ, CNBC, it “has to win by a knockout, pure and simple,” says Jon Friedman in Jon Friedman in MarketWatch. It can’t just “trade punches” in the looming “street fight in pinstripes.” FBN has muscle in its corner—its corporate affiliation with Dow Jones and “aces Neil Cavuto and Alexis Glick,” for example—but “CNBC won’t exactly drop to the canvas.” For FBN to triumph, it needs to show “the trademark swagger of the Fox News Channel,” to “look and act like a winner on day one.” So stay tuned. “Ding! Ding! Ding!” Round one begins on Monday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week