Good Day, Bad Day
The real thing and Motor City.
GOOD DAY FOR: The real thing, as the largest microwave popcorn makers are dropping a butter flavoring tied to a deadly lung disease. General Mills, ConAgra, and the American Pop Corn Co. said they would stop using diacetyl, a chemical in the flavoring, although they downplayed the risks it posed. “Popcorn lung” has recently been tied to one man who never worked in a popcorn plant; he popped several bags of microwave popcorn a day for years. (AP in The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: Motor City, as Volkswagen announced that it is moving its U.S. headquarters from the Detroit area to northern Virginia. Volkswagen will move 600 positions to Herndon, Va., and cut 400 of the remaining 1,000 jobs in Auburn Hills, Mich. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
Subscribe to the Week