Good Day, Bad Day
The real thing and Motor City.
GOOD DAY FOR: The real thing, as the largest microwave popcorn makers are dropping a butter flavoring tied to a deadly lung disease. General Mills, ConAgra, and the American Pop Corn Co. said they would stop using diacetyl, a chemical in the flavoring, although they downplayed the risks it posed. “Popcorn lung” has recently been tied to one man who never worked in a popcorn plant; he popped several bags of microwave popcorn a day for years. (AP in The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: Motor City, as Volkswagen announced that it is moving its U.S. headquarters from the Detroit area to northern Virginia. Volkswagen will move 600 positions to Herndon, Va., and cut 400 of the remaining 1,000 jobs in Auburn Hills, Mich. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week