Good Day, Bad Day
The real thing and Motor City.
GOOD DAY FOR: The real thing, as the largest microwave popcorn makers are dropping a butter flavoring tied to a deadly lung disease. General Mills, ConAgra, and the American Pop Corn Co. said they would stop using diacetyl, a chemical in the flavoring, although they downplayed the risks it posed. “Popcorn lung” has recently been tied to one man who never worked in a popcorn plant; he popped several bags of microwave popcorn a day for years. (AP in The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: Motor City, as Volkswagen announced that it is moving its U.S. headquarters from the Detroit area to northern Virginia. Volkswagen will move 600 positions to Herndon, Va., and cut 400 of the remaining 1,000 jobs in Auburn Hills, Mich. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week