Good Day, Bad Day
The real thing and Motor City.
GOOD DAY FOR: The real thing, as the largest microwave popcorn makers are dropping a butter flavoring tied to a deadly lung disease. General Mills, ConAgra, and the American Pop Corn Co. said they would stop using diacetyl, a chemical in the flavoring, although they downplayed the risks it posed. “Popcorn lung” has recently been tied to one man who never worked in a popcorn plant; he popped several bags of microwave popcorn a day for years. (AP in The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: Motor City, as Volkswagen announced that it is moving its U.S. headquarters from the Detroit area to northern Virginia. Volkswagen will move 600 positions to Herndon, Va., and cut 400 of the remaining 1,000 jobs in Auburn Hills, Mich. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week