Good Day, Bad Day
The real thing and Motor City.
GOOD DAY FOR: The real thing, as the largest microwave popcorn makers are dropping a butter flavoring tied to a deadly lung disease. General Mills, ConAgra, and the American Pop Corn Co. said they would stop using diacetyl, a chemical in the flavoring, although they downplayed the risks it posed. “Popcorn lung” has recently been tied to one man who never worked in a popcorn plant; he popped several bags of microwave popcorn a day for years. (AP in The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: Motor City, as Volkswagen announced that it is moving its U.S. headquarters from the Detroit area to northern Virginia. Volkswagen will move 600 positions to Herndon, Va., and cut 400 of the remaining 1,000 jobs in Auburn Hills, Mich. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week