nly in America
The City Council of Belmont, Calif., has voted to ban residents from smoking in their own apartments. Many of the state’s apartment complexes already have no-smoking policies, but Belmont is the first city to pass legislation making it a crime to light up at home. The city of Calabasas may be next. “The time has come,” said Councilman Barry Groveman, sponsor of the Calabasas no-smoking bill, who acknowledged the public reaction has not been wholly positive. “I’ve gotten threats like you wouldn’t believe.”
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Battle in a blizzard
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Did God have a wife?
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week