Boring but important
Army to speed expansion
Defense Secretary Robert Gates ordered the U.S. Army to grow to 547,000 active personnel by 2010, two years sooner than was previously planned. Its current head count is 512,000. The Army has come under severe strain while fighting two wars simultaneously, with many soldiers being deployed for multiple tours of combat duty. “Meeting this target will not be easy,” said Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey Jr.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week