Boring but important
Army to speed expansion
Defense Secretary Robert Gates ordered the U.S. Army to grow to 547,000 active personnel by 2010, two years sooner than was previously planned. Its current head count is 512,000. The Army has come under severe strain while fighting two wars simultaneously, with many soldiers being deployed for multiple tours of combat duty. “Meeting this target will not be easy,” said Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey Jr.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
Subscribe to the Week