Boring but important
Army to speed expansion
Defense Secretary Robert Gates ordered the U.S. Army to grow to 547,000 active personnel by 2010, two years sooner than was previously planned. Its current head count is 512,000. The Army has come under severe strain while fighting two wars simultaneously, with many soldiers being deployed for multiple tours of combat duty. “Meeting this target will not be easy,” said Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey Jr.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week