Boring but important
Army to speed expansion
Defense Secretary Robert Gates ordered the U.S. Army to grow to 547,000 active personnel by 2010, two years sooner than was previously planned. Its current head count is 512,000. The Army has come under severe strain while fighting two wars simultaneously, with many soldiers being deployed for multiple tours of combat duty. “Meeting this target will not be easy,” said Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey Jr.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week