GOOD DAY FOR: Rush Limbaugh, after Clear Chanel agreed to pay the radio host about $400 million through 2016. That is second only to Howard Stern’s reported $500 million, five-year deal with Sirius Satellite Radio. Limbaugh’s current eight-year contract, worth $285 million, expires next year. The deal comes as traditional radio faces a rough challenge from satellite radio and iPods. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: A sweet tooth, after sugar futures hit a four-month high amid speculation that rising oil prices will push demand for sugar-based ethanol. Brazil, the world’s No. 2 ethanol producer, uses sugarcane to make the fuel. With consumption rising, it has put 62 percent of its new cane crop toward ethanol production, leaving only 38 percent for sugar. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- California's epic drought
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week