OOD DAY FOR: Rush Limbaugh, after Clear Chanel agreed to pay the radio host about $400 million through 2016. That is second only to Howard Stern’s reported $500 million, five-year deal with Sirius Satellite Radio. Limbaugh’s current eight-year contract, worth $285 million, expires next year. The deal comes as traditional radio faces a rough challenge from satellite radio and iPods. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: A sweet tooth, after sugar futures hit a four-month high amid speculation that rising oil prices will push demand for sugar-based ethanol. Brazil, the world’s No. 2 ethanol producer, uses sugarcane to make the fuel. With consumption rising, it has put 62 percent of its new cane crop toward ethanol production, leaving only 38 percent for sugar. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week