OOD DAY FOR: Rush Limbaugh, after Clear Chanel agreed to pay the radio host about $400 million through 2016. That is second only to Howard Stern’s reported $500 million, five-year deal with Sirius Satellite Radio. Limbaugh’s current eight-year contract, worth $285 million, expires next year. The deal comes as traditional radio faces a rough challenge from satellite radio and iPods. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: A sweet tooth, after sugar futures hit a four-month high amid speculation that rising oil prices will push demand for sugar-based ethanol. Brazil, the world’s No. 2 ethanol producer, uses sugarcane to make the fuel. With consumption rising, it has put 62 percent of its new cane crop toward ethanol production, leaving only 38 percent for sugar. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- 18 books to read in 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week