GOOD DAY FOR: Rush Limbaugh, after Clear Chanel agreed to pay the radio host about $400 million through 2016. That is second only to Howard Stern’s reported $500 million, five-year deal with Sirius Satellite Radio. Limbaugh’s current eight-year contract, worth $285 million, expires next year. The deal comes as traditional radio faces a rough challenge from satellite radio and iPods. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: A sweet tooth, after sugar futures hit a four-month high amid speculation that rising oil prices will push demand for sugar-based ethanol. Brazil, the world’s No. 2 ethanol producer, uses sugarcane to make the fuel. With consumption rising, it has put 62 percent of its new cane crop toward ethanol production, leaving only 38 percent for sugar. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- House hunting: 6 stunning historic conversions
Subscribe to the Week