Actress Angelina Jolie, pregnant with twins, checked into a French hospital on Sunday. Jolie, her partner Brad Pitt, and their children now occupy a four-room maternity suite, with bodyguards to ensure her privacy and protect her from a swarm of reporters. Doctors said Jolie, 33, was fine, and that the twins would arrive within weeks. (South African Times)
What the commentators said
It's amazing that Jolie "managed to slip unobserved" into the hospital, said CBS News correspondent Richard Roth. The media are obsessed with Jolie and Pitt, a.k.a. Brangelina—so much that pictures of the twins will go for $10 to $20 million to the lucky paparazzo who snaps them first.
The media frenzy is so fierce, in fact, that there are contradictory reports on Jolie's pregnancy, said celebrity blog CelebGuru. One source claimed the twins are girls, while another claimed one boy and one girl. The Sun even suggested that Jolie gave birth to girls on Monday night. The only thing we can be sure of is that Jolie will tattoo the coordinates of her twins' birth on her arm, along with the previous four.
And what do you think Jolie and Pitt will name the mystery twins? said celebrity commentary site The Superficial—"Future Hotness #1 and Future Hotness #2"? Heck, those are better names than Maddox and Shiloh.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- The big policy question libertarians can't answer
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
Subscribe to the Week