Actress Angelina Jolie, pregnant with twins, checked into a French hospital on Sunday. Jolie, her partner Brad Pitt, and their children now occupy a four-room maternity suite, with bodyguards to ensure her privacy and protect her from a swarm of reporters. Doctors said Jolie, 33, was fine, and that the twins would arrive within weeks. (South African Times)
What the commentators said
It's amazing that Jolie "managed to slip unobserved" into the hospital, said CBS News correspondent Richard Roth. The media are obsessed with Jolie and Pitt, a.k.a. Brangelina—so much that pictures of the twins will go for $10 to $20 million to the lucky paparazzo who snaps them first.
The media frenzy is so fierce, in fact, that there are contradictory reports on Jolie's pregnancy, said celebrity blog CelebGuru. One source claimed the twins are girls, while another claimed one boy and one girl. The Sun even suggested that Jolie gave birth to girls on Monday night. The only thing we can be sure of is that Jolie will tattoo the coordinates of her twins' birth on her arm, along with the previous four.
And what do you think Jolie and Pitt will name the mystery twins? said celebrity commentary site The Superficial—"Future Hotness #1 and Future Hotness #2"? Heck, those are better names than Maddox and Shiloh.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week