China Oilfield Services, a unit of state-run China National Offshore Oil Corp., agreed to buy Norway’s Awilco Offshore ASA for about $2.49 billion. The purchase price is 19 percent higher than Awilco’s closing price Friday. The purchase will increase China Oilfield’s fleet of offshore rigs to 22, from 15, and give it access to Awilco’s expertise. Oil rig rental rates are at record levels. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week