hina Oilfield Services, a unit of state-run China National Offshore Oil Corp., agreed to buy Norway’s Awilco Offshore ASA for about $2.49 billion. The purchase price is 19 percent higher than Awilco’s closing price Friday. The purchase will increase China Oilfield’s fleet of offshore rigs to 22, from 15, and give it access to Awilco’s expertise. Oil rig rental rates are at record levels. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- How Captain America won over China
- How to flirt, according to science
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week