China Oilfield Services, a unit of state-run China National Offshore Oil Corp., agreed to buy Norway’s Awilco Offshore ASA for about $2.49 billion. The purchase price is 19 percent higher than Awilco’s closing price Friday. The purchase will increase China Oilfield’s fleet of offshore rigs to 22, from 15, and give it access to Awilco’s expertise. Oil rig rental rates are at record levels. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week