Cynthia Rodriguez, wife of Yankees' third baseman Alex "A-Rod" Rodriguez, has filed for divorce after five years of marriage, citing infidelity. Media reports have alleged romantic liasons between Alex Rodriguez and Madonna, and between Cynthia Rodriguez and Lenny Kravitz, whom she visited in Paris. (AP)
What the commentators said
"We’re still scratching our heads over the Madonna-Alex Rodriguez story," said Roger Friedman on Fox News' Fox411 blog. So it turns out that A-Rod has kept a secret sublet in New York, and yes, Madonna has visited, but "the probability is that Madonna and her guru, Philip Berg," the founder of Kabbalah, "are more interested in Rodriguez for his bulging wallet than anything else."
Whatever their actual relationship, "those Madonna-Alex Rodriguez rumours just won't go away," saidwe start using the phrase 'Radonna' yet?"
"A-Rod's private life might be an enormous punch line," said Ken Davidoff in Newsday, but things are going well on the ball field, where he just tied Mickey Mantle with 536 career home-runs. And if people are starting to hate him for his antics outside the park, giving him 3,934,518 votes for the All-Star team was an odd way to show it.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week