Starbucks last week said it is closing 500 U.S. stores, on top of 100 already announced, and cutting about 12,000 jobs. The number of customers at the coffee giant has fallen in recent months. (AP in Yahoo! Finance) Starbucks has doubled in size over the past four years; most of the closed stores were opened in that period. (Bloomberg)
What the commentators said
The “early Starbucks mojo is no more,” said Tom Mullaney in the Chicago Tribune. Once innovative and thrilling, the company has traded its “ballyhooed ‘Starbucks experience’” for corporate efficiency—ubiquity, machine-made espresso, office furniture instead of comfy chairs—and sent many of its “once intensely loyal customers” seeking a jolt elsewhere.
Starbucks expanded too fast, said The Economist via the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, but not all its “wounds were self-inflicted.” The “deteriorating American economy” is taking its toll, too, as consumers with thinning wallets trade down from “premium-priced” retailers like Starbucks to discounters, such as Wal-Mart.
This is bad news for us all, said the San Francisco Chronicle in an editorial. If "the chain that couldn't seem to stop growing just a few years ago" is crashing to Earth, the economy must really be in trouble.
Maybe, but service is important, too, said Damozel in the blog Buck Naked Politics. Starbucks could probably win back some customers if it had free wireless, healthier food, and better music.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week