Microsoft said it was open to renewing its bid for Yahoo’s search business, or even the entire company, if shareholders replace the Yahoo board with an alternate slate proposed by investor Carl Icahn. The endorsement lends heft to Icahn’s proposed boardroom coup, and follows frequent discussions between Icahn and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. Yahoo’s annual meeting is Aug. 1. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week