OOD DAY FOR: Sexy rebates, after the Shady Lady Ranch, a brothel in Nevada, started offering $50 gas vouchers to customers who spend at least $300 at the ranch. The $50 roughly covers the gas it takes to drive to and from Las Vegas. Owner James Davis said he ran through $1,000 worth of vouchers in the first week, and has ordered more. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Ordering Mexican, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that jalapeno peppers were, like certain raw tomatoes, linked to a big salmonella outbreak, and should be avoided. More than 1,000 people have been sickened in the mini-epidemic, making it the worst food-borne outbreak in at least 10 years. Cilantro is also under investigation. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week