OOD DAY FOR: Sexy rebates, after the Shady Lady Ranch, a brothel in Nevada, started offering $50 gas vouchers to customers who spend at least $300 at the ranch. The $50 roughly covers the gas it takes to drive to and from Las Vegas. Owner James Davis said he ran through $1,000 worth of vouchers in the first week, and has ordered more. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Ordering Mexican, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that jalapeno peppers were, like certain raw tomatoes, linked to a big salmonella outbreak, and should be avoided. More than 1,000 people have been sickened in the mini-epidemic, making it the worst food-borne outbreak in at least 10 years. Cilantro is also under investigation. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The case for killing law school
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Putin's risky bet in eastern Ukraine
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week