GOOD DAY FOR: Sexy rebates, after the Shady Lady Ranch, a brothel in Nevada, started offering $50 gas vouchers to customers who spend at least $300 at the ranch. The $50 roughly covers the gas it takes to drive to and from Las Vegas. Owner James Davis said he ran through $1,000 worth of vouchers in the first week, and has ordered more. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Ordering Mexican, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that jalapeno peppers were, like certain raw tomatoes, linked to a big salmonella outbreak, and should be avoided. More than 1,000 people have been sickened in the mini-epidemic, making it the worst food-borne outbreak in at least 10 years. Cilantro is also under investigation. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
Subscribe to the Week