OOD DAY FOR: Sexy rebates, after the Shady Lady Ranch, a brothel in Nevada, started offering $50 gas vouchers to customers who spend at least $300 at the ranch. The $50 roughly covers the gas it takes to drive to and from Las Vegas. Owner James Davis said he ran through $1,000 worth of vouchers in the first week, and has ordered more. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Ordering Mexican, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that jalapeno peppers were, like certain raw tomatoes, linked to a big salmonella outbreak, and should be avoided. More than 1,000 people have been sickened in the mini-epidemic, making it the worst food-borne outbreak in at least 10 years. Cilantro is also under investigation. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week