Pop icon Michael Jackson showed up in public recently in a wheelchair wearing pajamas, a surgeon’s mask, a dreadlocked wig, a baseball cap, and sunglasses, raising fresh questions about his physical and mental health. The singer was visiting a toy and bookstore with his three children near his home in Las Vegas.
What the commentators said
Jackson’s latest “bizarre” public appearance “sparked new fears for his health,” said Rupert Neate in the Telegraph. But the timing is perfect to coincide with the run-up to his new double album, King of Pop, which is coming out on August 29.
Jackson reportedly uses a wheelchair whenever he feels too weak to walk, said the blog InEntertainment. The King of Pop's “music is still going strong,” and there is “huge interest” in his “comeback.” But you have to wonder if he has the strength to "pull it off."
Every pop star knows you "have to reinvent yourself every so often” to survive in show business, said Richard Simpson in the Mail Online. But what Jackson “thinks this look will do for his career is anyone’s guess.” And if he really wants to hide his true identity, maybe next time he should skip the get-up and ditch his “eight-strong security team.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week