Ethan Hawke married his children's former nanny, Ryan Shawhughes, last month in New York City. The couple is also expecting a baby girl. Hawke, star of Training Day and Dead Poets Society, was previously married to Uma Thurman, with whom he has two children. (AP)
What the commentators said
It's still hard to believe that Hawke threw away his "dream life," said Ian McShane on celebrity blog Holy Moly! The man cheated on Uma Thurman—Uma Thurman—and left her for "the fat-faced nanny." What was he thinking?
A friend of the couple has said they're incredibly in love and excited about their daughter, said celebrity blog Celebritique. Who cares what the gossip mill has to say about them? They sound very happy, so "congrats to the both of them!"
Coincidentally, Hawke and Shawhughes married just after Uma Thurman announced her engagement to multi-billionaire Arpad Busson, said gossip site Stupid Celebrities. It looks like everyone is moving on.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Cuba should beware of Westerners bearing gifts
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week