The documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, which investigates the 1978 case against the renowned director in which he pleaded guilty to having sex with a 13-year-old girl before fleeing the U.S. to avoid sentencing, recently premiered on HBO. The film has since stirred a debate over cultural attitudes toward age of consent laws.
What the commentators said
This documentary shows that Polanski may have gotten a bad rap, said Juliet Lapidos in the Slate blog The XX Factor. Yes, “thirteen is young—no doubt about it.” But 18 seems “a little old.” Age of consent laws “are very culture- and century-specific,” and “not everyone’s sexual desires fit neatly into the particular mores of the time they live in.”
“No matter what Polanski believed,” said Cynthia Fuchs in PopMatters.com, “in the U.S. a 13-year-old cannot ‘consent’ to sex.” But the documentary never suggests that Polanski “is not responsible for what he’s done, or that he was reckless regarding consequences.” Wanted and Desired is more interested “in the treatment of Polanski by the U.S. press and legal system.”
The U.S. press treated Polanski much differently than the European press did, said Christopher Campbell in the blog Cinematical. “To Americans, he was a villain—a rich, short foreigner who came over and defiled a little girl.” But in Europe, he was viewed as a talented artist “facing a terrible ordeal.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week