Mining firm Cleveland-Cliffs, North America’s largest producer of iron pellets, agreed to buy Appalachian coal producer Alpha Natural Resources for $10 billion. The combined company, Cliffs Natural Resources, will own nine iron ore plants and more than 60 coal mines in the Americas and Australia. Cleveland-Cliffs said the deal will help it compete in providing raw materials to the booming global steel industry. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week