ining firm Cleveland-Cliffs, North America’s largest producer of iron pellets, agreed to buy Appalachian coal producer Alpha Natural Resources for $10 billion. The combined company, Cliffs Natural Resources, will own nine iron ore plants and more than 60 coal mines in the Americas and Australia. Cleveland-Cliffs said the deal will help it compete in providing raw materials to the booming global steel industry. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The end of academic freedom?
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner*
Subscribe to the Week