ining firm Cleveland-Cliffs, North America’s largest producer of iron pellets, agreed to buy Appalachian coal producer Alpha Natural Resources for $10 billion. The combined company, Cliffs Natural Resources, will own nine iron ore plants and more than 60 coal mines in the Americas and Australia. Cleveland-Cliffs said the deal will help it compete in providing raw materials to the booming global steel industry. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Today in history: The birth of the federal income tax
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week