Mining firm Cleveland-Cliffs, North America’s largest producer of iron pellets, agreed to buy Appalachian coal producer Alpha Natural Resources for $10 billion. The combined company, Cliffs Natural Resources, will own nine iron ore plants and more than 60 coal mines in the Americas and Australia. Cleveland-Cliffs said the deal will help it compete in providing raw materials to the booming global steel industry. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
Subscribe to the Week