GOOD DAY FOR: New York’s mayor, since Bloomberg LP is valued at $22.5 billion after Merrill Lynch sold its 20 percent stake in the private financial news and data company for $4.5 billion. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who owns 72 percent of the company he founded, is expected to buy the stake. Merrill will keep its 49 percent stake in money manager BlackRock. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Sore losers, after Pakistani investors threw stones and broke windows at the Karachi stock exchange to show their displeasure over its worst losing streak in 18 years. The Karachi Stock Exchange 100 Index has fallen for 15 straight days and lost 30 billion in market value in three months. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week