GOOD DAY FOR: New York’s mayor, since Bloomberg LP is valued at $22.5 billion after Merrill Lynch sold its 20 percent stake in the private financial news and data company for $4.5 billion. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who owns 72 percent of the company he founded, is expected to buy the stake. Merrill will keep its 49 percent stake in money manager BlackRock. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Sore losers, after Pakistani investors threw stones and broke windows at the Karachi stock exchange to show their displeasure over its worst losing streak in 18 years. The Karachi Stock Exchange 100 Index has fallen for 15 straight days and lost 30 billion in market value in three months. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week