GOOD DAY FOR: New York’s mayor, since Bloomberg LP is valued at $22.5 billion after Merrill Lynch sold its 20 percent stake in the private financial news and data company for $4.5 billion. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who owns 72 percent of the company he founded, is expected to buy the stake. Merrill will keep its 49 percent stake in money manager BlackRock. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Sore losers, after Pakistani investors threw stones and broke windows at the Karachi stock exchange to show their displeasure over its worst losing streak in 18 years. The Karachi Stock Exchange 100 Index has fallen for 15 straight days and lost 30 billion in market value in three months. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week