GOOD DAY FOR: New York’s mayor, since Bloomberg LP is valued at $22.5 billion after Merrill Lynch sold its 20 percent stake in the private financial news and data company for $4.5 billion. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who owns 72 percent of the company he founded, is expected to buy the stake. Merrill will keep its 49 percent stake in money manager BlackRock. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Sore losers, after Pakistani investors threw stones and broke windows at the Karachi stock exchange to show their displeasure over its worst losing streak in 18 years. The Karachi Stock Exchange 100 Index has fallen for 15 straight days and lost 30 billion in market value in three months. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
Subscribe to the Week