OOD DAY FOR: Dueling superheroes, after “The Dark Knight,” the new Batman movie, earned a record-high $155.34 million in its opening weekend, toppling the previous high of $151.1 million earned by rival superhero Spider-Man last summer. Factoring in higher ticket prices, though, Spider-Man may have sold more tickets. Overall, Hollywood raked in a record $253 million last weekend. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Talking credit, after a new survey shows that Americans are more likely to talk about sex or a loved one’s death than their credit situation. The survey, by the Consumer Federation of America, found that 82 percent of consumers are reluctant to discuss credit debt. “Talking about credit-card debt is an overwhelming social taboo,” said CreditCard-dot-com’s Ben Woolsey. (MarketWatch)
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Is it possible to live forever?
- China's massive pollution problem
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- The indignity of canine bath time
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
Subscribe to the Week