OOD DAY FOR: Dueling superheroes, after “The Dark Knight,” the new Batman movie, earned a record-high $155.34 million in its opening weekend, toppling the previous high of $151.1 million earned by rival superhero Spider-Man last summer. Factoring in higher ticket prices, though, Spider-Man may have sold more tickets. Overall, Hollywood raked in a record $253 million last weekend. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Talking credit, after a new survey shows that Americans are more likely to talk about sex or a loved one’s death than their credit situation. The survey, by the Consumer Federation of America, found that 82 percent of consumers are reluctant to discuss credit debt. “Talking about credit-card debt is an overwhelming social taboo,” said CreditCard-dot-com’s Ben Woolsey. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week