Actress Natalie Portman plays a Bollywood princess in the new music video for her boyfriend Devendra Banhart’s song “Carmensita.”
What the commentators said
It’s hard to say whether or not Portman was just doing her boyfriend a favor by starring in this video, said Monika Bartyzel in the blog Cinematical. But “I’m liking the lighthearted Natalie.” Here’s hoping we can “get her into more goofy roles.”
Portman is good in this role, said Perez Hilton, but is anyone really surprised? Playing a princess is “something she’s very familiar with.” But to be fair, this video is “trippy and super cute.”
It’s not exactly “V for Vendetta," said Daniel Kreps in Rolling Stone’s Rock & Roll Daily blog, "or even Michel Gondry’s video for Paul McCartney’s ‘Dance Tonight’ for that matter.” But “we’ll pretty much watch anything starring Portman.”
(Watch the video for “Carmensita” on YouTube)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week