Actress Natalie Portman plays a Bollywood princess in the new music video for her boyfriend Devendra Banhart’s song “Carmensita.”
What the commentators said
It’s hard to say whether or not Portman was just doing her boyfriend a favor by starring in this video, said Monika Bartyzel in the blog Cinematical. But “I’m liking the lighthearted Natalie.” Here’s hoping we can “get her into more goofy roles.”
Portman is good in this role, said Perez Hilton, but is anyone really surprised? Playing a princess is “something she’s very familiar with.” But to be fair, this video is “trippy and super cute.”
It’s not exactly “V for Vendetta," said Daniel Kreps in Rolling Stone’s Rock & Roll Daily blog, "or even Michel Gondry’s video for Paul McCartney’s ‘Dance Tonight’ for that matter.” But “we’ll pretty much watch anything starring Portman.”
(Watch the video for “Carmensita” on YouTube)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- 3 ways elephants and neuroscience can help you make better decisions
Subscribe to the Week