OOD DAY FOR: Slowly plugging in, after utility firm executives said the U.S. power grid can handle a gradual switch to rechargeable hybrid electric cars. Rechargeable cars consume about four times the electricity of plasma TVs, but utilities say their recent ramping up of capacity to accommodate the switch to energy-hogging plasma screens has assured them that a plug-in car changeover is doable, too. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Founding Fathers, as brokerage firm Charles Schwab Corp. is replacing founder Charles Schwab as CEO, promoting president and COO Walter Bettinger II. Schwab, 70, will stay on as chairman. (MarketWatch) Charitable food brand Newman’s Own may be facing a similar transition, as founder Paul Newman, 83, is reportedly battling cancer. (Fortune in CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week