OOD DAY FOR: Slowly plugging in, after utility firm executives said the U.S. power grid can handle a gradual switch to rechargeable hybrid electric cars. Rechargeable cars consume about four times the electricity of plasma TVs, but utilities say their recent ramping up of capacity to accommodate the switch to energy-hogging plasma screens has assured them that a plug-in car changeover is doable, too. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Founding Fathers, as brokerage firm Charles Schwab Corp. is replacing founder Charles Schwab as CEO, promoting president and COO Walter Bettinger II. Schwab, 70, will stay on as chairman. (MarketWatch) Charitable food brand Newman’s Own may be facing a similar transition, as founder Paul Newman, 83, is reportedly battling cancer. (Fortune in CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week