GOOD DAY FOR: Slowly plugging in, after utility firm executives said the U.S. power grid can handle a gradual switch to rechargeable hybrid electric cars. Rechargeable cars consume about four times the electricity of plasma TVs, but utilities say their recent ramping up of capacity to accommodate the switch to energy-hogging plasma screens has assured them that a plug-in car changeover is doable, too. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Founding Fathers, as brokerage firm Charles Schwab Corp. is replacing founder Charles Schwab as CEO, promoting president and COO Walter Bettinger II. Schwab, 70, will stay on as chairman. (MarketWatch) Charitable food brand Newman’s Own may be facing a similar transition, as founder Paul Newman, 83, is reportedly battling cancer. (Fortune in CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
Subscribe to the Week