A federal judge sentenced “Spam King” Robert Soloway to almost four years in prison for sending out more than 90 million unwanted e-mails. Soloway is the second person sentenced under the Can-Spam Act. Soloway told the judge he sent the spam to support his lavish lifestyle; prosecutors had asked for nine years, to send a message that “the financial and societal costs of this crime are immense” and will be punished. (Seattle Post-Intelligencer)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week