icrosoft said yesterday that its efforts to acquire Yahoo are done, and shareholder advisory group RiskMetrics endorsed the re-election of the Yahoo board that had opposed Microsoft’s takeover. “It didn’t work out,” said Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. “Fine. We’re done. We can move on.” (The San Jose Mercury News) With Yahoo off the table, Microsoft said it will spend at least $2.5 billion a year for the foreseeable future to compete with search leader Google. (Bloomberg in The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
Subscribe to the Week