icrosoft said yesterday that its efforts to acquire Yahoo are done, and shareholder advisory group RiskMetrics endorsed the re-election of the Yahoo board that had opposed Microsoft’s takeover. “It didn’t work out,” said Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. “Fine. We’re done. We can move on.” (The San Jose Mercury News) With Yahoo off the table, Microsoft said it will spend at least $2.5 billion a year for the foreseeable future to compete with search leader Google. (Bloomberg in The Washington Post)
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 'Tis the season for having sex with old flames and ruining your office reputation
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- The executioners' lament
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- What makes a word the word of the year?
- All the World Cup mascots, ranked
Subscribe to the Week