Inflation in Europe hit a 16-year high of 4.1 percent, due largely to record high fuel prices. The European Central Bank has an official inflation target of 2 percent. A separate report put the European unemployment rate at 7.3 percent, up from 7.2 percent. (Bloomberg) British consumer confidence, meanwhile, hit an all-time low, in a survey that began in 1974. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
When Americans banned Christmas
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week