nflation in Europe hit a 16-year high of 4.1 percent, due largely to record high fuel prices. The European Central Bank has an official inflation target of 2 percent. A separate report put the European unemployment rate at 7.3 percent, up from 7.2 percent. (Bloomberg) British consumer confidence, meanwhile, hit an all-time low, in a survey that began in 1974. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Today in history: The birth of the federal income tax
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week