Inflation in Europe hit a 16-year high of 4.1 percent, due largely to record high fuel prices. The European Central Bank has an official inflation target of 2 percent. A separate report put the European unemployment rate at 7.3 percent, up from 7.2 percent. (Bloomberg) British consumer confidence, meanwhile, hit an all-time low, in a survey that began in 1974. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Why America needs more billionaires
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week