ood week for:
Man bites dog, after 11-year-old Gabriel Almeida of Brazil saved himself from a pit bull attack by sinking his teeth into the canine’s neck. The boy is now a national hero.
Supplemental income, after Mick Jagger turned 65, becoming eligible for a state pension of $180 a week.
The 9-year-old girl formerly known as Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii, after a New Zealand judge ordered her legally renamed, citing “the very poor judgment” of her parents.
Bad week for:
Antoinette Bowser of Virginia, who began her driving test by backing into a parked car in the parking lot of the Department of Motor Vehicles, allegedly injuring the test instructor. To cover the instructor’s workers-compensation claim, the state is now suing Bowser for $75,000.
The getaway, after police arrested Sean Gallagher of Illinois on charges he robbed the same gas station three times in recent months. After the third robbery, a gas station employee pointed Gallagher out to police as he walked to his home, which is 200 yards away.
Claustrophobia, after a drunken British woman coming home from vacation in Greece tried to open the door of a charter plane at 33,000 feet. “Apparently she wanted to catch some fresh air,” said police.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week