Good week for:
Man bites dog, after 11-year-old Gabriel Almeida of Brazil saved himself from a pit bull attack by sinking his teeth into the canine’s neck. The boy is now a national hero.
Supplemental income, after Mick Jagger turned 65, becoming eligible for a state pension of $180 a week.
The 9-year-old girl formerly known as Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii, after a New Zealand judge ordered her legally renamed, citing “the very poor judgment” of her parents.
Bad week for:
Antoinette Bowser of Virginia, who began her driving test by backing into a parked car in the parking lot of the Department of Motor Vehicles, allegedly injuring the test instructor. To cover the instructor’s workers-compensation claim, the state is now suing Bowser for $75,000.
The getaway, after police arrested Sean Gallagher of Illinois on charges he robbed the same gas station three times in recent months. After the third robbery, a gas station employee pointed Gallagher out to police as he walked to his home, which is 200 yards away.
Claustrophobia, after a drunken British woman coming home from vacation in Greece tried to open the door of a charter plane at 33,000 feet. “Apparently she wanted to catch some fresh air,” said police.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week