Good week for:
Man bites dog, after 11-year-old Gabriel Almeida of Brazil saved himself from a pit bull attack by sinking his teeth into the canine’s neck. The boy is now a national hero.
Supplemental income, after Mick Jagger turned 65, becoming eligible for a state pension of $180 a week.
The 9-year-old girl formerly known as Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii, after a New Zealand judge ordered her legally renamed, citing “the very poor judgment” of her parents.
Bad week for:
Antoinette Bowser of Virginia, who began her driving test by backing into a parked car in the parking lot of the Department of Motor Vehicles, allegedly injuring the test instructor. To cover the instructor’s workers-compensation claim, the state is now suing Bowser for $75,000.
The getaway, after police arrested Sean Gallagher of Illinois on charges he robbed the same gas station three times in recent months. After the third robbery, a gas station employee pointed Gallagher out to police as he walked to his home, which is 200 yards away.
Claustrophobia, after a drunken British woman coming home from vacation in Greece tried to open the door of a charter plane at 33,000 feet. “Apparently she wanted to catch some fresh air,” said police.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week