gribusiness giant Monsanto is looking to sell its dairy hormone business, which makes the artificial growth hormone Posilac, also called bovine somatotropin (BST). Posilac can increase a cow’s milk production by a gallon a day, but several countries ban it and consumer leeriness has prompted most U.S. milk sellers to avoid using it. Monsanto says BST is safe, and that Posilac is selling well. (The New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner*
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week