ood week for:
Starfish, after the island of Grenada launched a campaign to persuade tourists not to use the marine animals as Frisbees for their dogs.
The timeless humor of Howard Stern, after researchers determined that the oldest recorded joke—dating to 1900 B.C. Sumeria—is, “Something which has never occurred since time immemorial: A young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap.”
Oprah Winfrey, whose endorsement of Barack Obama won him 1,015,000 votes in the Democratic primaries, according to a new study by two University of Maryland economists.
Bad week for:
Skinny-dipping, after German police tried to arrest a man who had snuck into a pool with his buddies for a midnight nude swim. The naked suspect fled straight into a hedge of sharp nettles. “The officers just followed the sound of screaming,” said a police spokesman.
Following the recipe, after British celebrity chef Antony Worrall Thompson said in a magazine article that “the weed henbane is great in salads.” Thompson later said he had confused henbane with a different plant that does not cause convulsions, vomiting, and death.
Having it your way, after a Florida man called 911 to complain that Subway had left the sauce off his spicy Italian sandwich. He was arrested after calling a second time to complain that police were not responding.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week