A retired Air Force colonel who likes to play the organ has rented Radio City Music Hall in New York City for $120,000 so he can perform on its giant Wurlitzer pipe organ. Jack Moelmann, 67, says he had to cash out his savings account to cover the one-night rental. He’s charging $50 for people to hear him play. “One day,” he said, “I looked in the mirror and said, ‘Jack, you have a dream, go for it!’”
Verne Troyer is suing his ex-wife for $20 million, alleging that she physically abused the tiny actor. The Austin Powers star alleges that the 110-pound Ranae Shrider repeatedly used her size advantage to bully him, on one occasion picking up the 40-pound actor and throwing him to the ground. “When you pick up a 2-foot-8-inch human being and throw him to the floor, it hurts,” said Troyer’s lawyer. Troyer also claims that Shrider persuaded him “to tape their most intimate moments” with the sole intention of later selling the sex tape.
Saudi Arabian religious officials have outlawed the sale of dogs and cats to men, on the grounds that pets can be used to pick up women. Othman al-Othman, head of the kingdom’s Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, said the ban was necessitated by the “rising phenomenon of men using cats and dogs to make passes at women.” Men caught with pets will have their animals confiscated on the spot, said al-Othman, “and the man will be forced to sign a document pledging not to repeat the act.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
Subscribe to the Week