A retired Air Force colonel who likes to play the organ has rented Radio City Music Hall in New York City for $120,000 so he can perform on its giant Wurlitzer pipe organ. Jack Moelmann, 67, says he had to cash out his savings account to cover the one-night rental. He’s charging $50 for people to hear him play. “One day,” he said, “I looked in the mirror and said, ‘Jack, you have a dream, go for it!’”
Verne Troyer is suing his ex-wife for $20 million, alleging that she physically abused the tiny actor. The Austin Powers star alleges that the 110-pound Ranae Shrider repeatedly used her size advantage to bully him, on one occasion picking up the 40-pound actor and throwing him to the ground. “When you pick up a 2-foot-8-inch human being and throw him to the floor, it hurts,” said Troyer’s lawyer. Troyer also claims that Shrider persuaded him “to tape their most intimate moments” with the sole intention of later selling the sex tape.
Saudi Arabian religious officials have outlawed the sale of dogs and cats to men, on the grounds that pets can be used to pick up women. Othman al-Othman, head of the kingdom’s Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, said the ban was necessitated by the “rising phenomenon of men using cats and dogs to make passes at women.” Men caught with pets will have their animals confiscated on the spot, said al-Othman, “and the man will be forced to sign a document pledging not to repeat the act.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Rubio-Lee tax plan is great politics — and great policy
- Stop your unpatriotic fearmongering over ISIS
Subscribe to the Week