ive American troops died in Iraq in July, by far the lowest monthly U.S. death toll of the five-year war. For much of last year, Americans were dying in Iraq at a rate of more than 100 a month.
The Washington Post
In response to high gas prices, consumers are snapping up tiny, low-power electric cars that can travel short distances at up to 30 mph. One company, ZAP of Santa Rosa, Calif., is selling 50 vehicles a day, up from five just six months ago.
The Wall Street Journal
Paris Hilton’s parents, who have given $6,900 to John McCain’s campaign, were not amused by McCain’s ad mocking Barack Obama as an empty celebrity like Paris or Britney Spears. Kathy Hilton said the ad was “frivolous” and “a complete waste of the money John McCain’s contributors have donated to his campaign.”
A record 9,000 Beijing couples were planning to wed on 8/08/08, the starting date for the Chinese-hosted Summer Olympics. The number 8 is considered lucky in China, because in Mandarin, the word for “eight” sounds like part of the expression “to get rich.”
YouTube users are far more likely to watch video clips of political
commercials than of news coverage of the campaigns. That John McCain ad featuring Britney Spears and Paris Hilton has been viewed nearly 1.5 million times.
The New York Times
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week