GOOD DAY FOR: Booking that flight, after American Airlines said it will add new nonrefundable fees for its frequent-flier program and up the mileage requirements for upgrades and free tickets, effective Oct. 1. Delta also upped its mileage fees and requirements last week. “The increase in fuel has an impact on everything we do right now,” says American spokeswoman Marcy Letourneau. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Freewheeling, after high gas prices are prompting Airstreamers—retirees and other enthusiasts who pull Airstream RVs across the country—to stay home, stay put, or come up with other ways of cutting fuel expenses. Airstreamers Karen Catchpole and Eric Mohl, both 42, suggest using cruise control and finding the most direct route through GPS mapping. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- California's epic drought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week