OOD DAY FOR: Booking that flight, after American Airlines said it will add new nonrefundable fees for its frequent-flier program and up the mileage requirements for upgrades and free tickets, effective Oct. 1. Delta also upped its mileage fees and requirements last week. “The increase in fuel has an impact on everything we do right now,” says American spokeswoman Marcy Letourneau. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Freewheeling, after high gas prices are prompting Airstreamers—retirees and other enthusiasts who pull Airstream RVs across the country—to stay home, stay put, or come up with other ways of cutting fuel expenses. Airstreamers Karen Catchpole and Eric Mohl, both 42, suggest using cruise control and finding the most direct route through GPS mapping. (MarketWatch)
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Why Common Core may not fix our kids' problems with math
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week