GOOD DAY FOR: Booking that flight, after American Airlines said it will add new nonrefundable fees for its frequent-flier program and up the mileage requirements for upgrades and free tickets, effective Oct. 1. Delta also upped its mileage fees and requirements last week. “The increase in fuel has an impact on everything we do right now,” says American spokeswoman Marcy Letourneau. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Freewheeling, after high gas prices are prompting Airstreamers—retirees and other enthusiasts who pull Airstream RVs across the country—to stay home, stay put, or come up with other ways of cutting fuel expenses. Airstreamers Karen Catchpole and Eric Mohl, both 42, suggest using cruise control and finding the most direct route through GPS mapping. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week