GOOD DAY FOR: Booking that flight, after American Airlines said it will add new nonrefundable fees for its frequent-flier program and up the mileage requirements for upgrades and free tickets, effective Oct. 1. Delta also upped its mileage fees and requirements last week. “The increase in fuel has an impact on everything we do right now,” says American spokeswoman Marcy Letourneau. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Freewheeling, after high gas prices are prompting Airstreamers—retirees and other enthusiasts who pull Airstream RVs across the country—to stay home, stay put, or come up with other ways of cutting fuel expenses. Airstreamers Karen Catchpole and Eric Mohl, both 42, suggest using cruise control and finding the most direct route through GPS mapping. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week