Shine a Light
The Rolling Stones “take center stage” in this rockumentary, said the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The film “crackles with electricity” as director Martin Scorsese “deftly captures” the Stones in their element at New York’s Beacon Theatre in 2006. The DVD includes four additional songs.
War Games: 25th Anniversary Edition
This cautionary tale about the threat of nuclear war “holds up well,” said the San Jose Mercury News. Matthew Broderick stars as a teenage hacker who accidentally provokes a high-stakes confrontation while playing a computer game. The DVD’s extras include the short Tic Tac Toe: A True Story.
Two Fat Ladies: The Complete Series
Britain’s “high-camp, high-fat cooking show” was a gluttonous pleasure, said Entertainment Weekly. The series, which followed “chubby foodies” Jennifer Paterson and Clarissa Dickson Wright across the U.K., remains “delicious” on DVD. Extras include biographical documentaries on the fat ladies and a recipe book.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
Subscribe to the Week