Santa Barbara, Calif.
Panoramic views of the Santa Ynez Mountains and Santa Cruz Island, 26 miles in the distance, are two free perks for guests of the newly renovated Canary Hotel, said Maria Shollenbarger in Travel + Leisure. Formerly called the Andalucia, this 97-room hotel has been given an “Alhambra-meets-Pacific” makeover. The 1,500-square-foot terrace features a pool, two fireplaces, and a fountain; hallways are covered in bright turquoise burlap and accented with Moroccan lanterns; and the lobby “positively radiates California warmth.” Unfortunately, the view from the Coast Restaurant is of a gas station and a bus depot.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week