Santa Barbara, Calif.
Panoramic views of the Santa Ynez Mountains and Santa Cruz Island, 26 miles in the distance, are two free perks for guests of the newly renovated Canary Hotel, said Maria Shollenbarger in Travel + Leisure. Formerly called the Andalucia, this 97-room hotel has been given an “Alhambra-meets-Pacific” makeover. The 1,500-square-foot terrace features a pool, two fireplaces, and a fountain; hallways are covered in bright turquoise burlap and accented with Moroccan lanterns; and the lobby “positively radiates California warmth.” Unfortunately, the view from the Coast Restaurant is of a gas station and a bus depot.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week