Santa Barbara, Calif.
Panoramic views of the Santa Ynez Mountains and Santa Cruz Island, 26 miles in the distance, are two free perks for guests of the newly renovated Canary Hotel, said Maria Shollenbarger in Travel + Leisure. Formerly called the Andalucia, this 97-room hotel has been given an “Alhambra-meets-Pacific” makeover. The 1,500-square-foot terrace features a pool, two fireplaces, and a fountain; hallways are covered in bright turquoise burlap and accented with Moroccan lanterns; and the lobby “positively radiates California warmth.” Unfortunately, the view from the Coast Restaurant is of a gas station and a bus depot.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to live a long life, according to science
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
Subscribe to the Week