Santa Barbara, Calif.
Panoramic views of the Santa Ynez Mountains and Santa Cruz Island, 26 miles in the distance, are two free perks for guests of the newly renovated Canary Hotel, said Maria Shollenbarger in Travel + Leisure. Formerly called the Andalucia, this 97-room hotel has been given an “Alhambra-meets-Pacific” makeover. The 1,500-square-foot terrace features a pool, two fireplaces, and a fountain; hallways are covered in bright turquoise burlap and accented with Moroccan lanterns; and the lobby “positively radiates California warmth.” Unfortunately, the view from the Coast Restaurant is of a gas station and a bus depot.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The week's best photojournalism
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Saudi Arabia is trying to sabotage America's shale oil boom
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
Subscribe to the Week