OOD DAY FOR: Vigilantism over vice, after the Batman movie “The Dark Knight” beat out stoner action film “Pineapple Express” to top the domestic box office for the fourth straight weekend. Batman brought in $26 million, for a domestic total of $441.5 million, making it the No. 3 all-time earner. “Pineapple Express” earned $22.6 million for the weekend, or $40.4 million since opening Wednesday. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Saving a buck, after people rushed out into Southern California freeway traffic to pick up cash dropped by a motorcyclist. The biker, identified as “Mr. Yee” by police, said $2,000 in cash spilled from his bag. When police arrived, they found $18, a checkbook, and a flashlight. Nobody was injured in the cash grab. (Contra Costa Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week