GOOD DAY FOR: Vigilantism over vice, after the Batman movie “The Dark Knight” beat out stoner action film “Pineapple Express” to top the domestic box office for the fourth straight weekend. Batman brought in $26 million, for a domestic total of $441.5 million, making it the No. 3 all-time earner. “Pineapple Express” earned $22.6 million for the weekend, or $40.4 million since opening Wednesday. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Saving a buck, after people rushed out into Southern California freeway traffic to pick up cash dropped by a motorcyclist. The biker, identified as “Mr. Yee” by police, said $2,000 in cash spilled from his bag. When police arrived, they found $18, a checkbook, and a flashlight. Nobody was injured in the cash grab. (Contra Costa Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week