Good day for: The one-child policy, as China has banned sexually explicit TV shows and appealed to broadcasters to stop promoting freewheeling attitudes toward sex. (Reuters in Yahoo! News)
Bad day for: The mood at the convent, as the three nuns at the Sisters of Bethany house were recently given four months to move out, because the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles plans to sell the building to help pay the church’s $660-million sexual abuse settlement. “We have to sacrifice our home for that?" said Sister Angela Escalera. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week