Good day for: The one-child policy, as China has banned sexually explicit TV shows and appealed to broadcasters to stop promoting freewheeling attitudes toward sex. (Reuters in Yahoo! News)
Bad day for: The mood at the convent, as the three nuns at the Sisters of Bethany house were recently given four months to move out, because the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles plans to sell the building to help pay the church’s $660-million sexual abuse settlement. “We have to sacrifice our home for that?" said Sister Angela Escalera. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week