Good day for: The one-child policy, as China has banned sexually explicit TV shows and appealed to broadcasters to stop promoting freewheeling attitudes toward sex. (Reuters in Yahoo! News)
Bad day for: The mood at the convent, as the three nuns at the Sisters of Bethany house were recently given four months to move out, because the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles plans to sell the building to help pay the church’s $660-million sexual abuse settlement. “We have to sacrifice our home for that?" said Sister Angela Escalera. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
Subscribe to the Week