Good day for: The one-child policy, as China has banned sexually explicit TV shows and appealed to broadcasters to stop promoting freewheeling attitudes toward sex. (Reuters in Yahoo! News)
Bad day for: The mood at the convent, as the three nuns at the Sisters of Bethany house were recently given four months to move out, because the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles plans to sell the building to help pay the church’s $660-million sexual abuse settlement. “We have to sacrifice our home for that?" said Sister Angela Escalera. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
Subscribe to the Week