Good day for: The one-child policy, as China has banned sexually explicit TV shows and appealed to broadcasters to stop promoting freewheeling attitudes toward sex. (Reuters in Yahoo! News)
Bad day for: The mood at the convent, as the three nuns at the Sisters of Bethany house were recently given four months to move out, because the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles plans to sell the building to help pay the church’s $660-million sexual abuse settlement. “We have to sacrifice our home for that?" said Sister Angela Escalera. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week