OOD DAY FOR: Working for the weekend, after Chrysler proposed changing its work week to four 10-hour days. Chrysler said the move, which needs approval from the United Auto Workers, could save significant amounts of money. “I would suspect a majority of employees would probably be in favor of something like this these days,” said Chrysler spokesman Ed Saenz. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Deficit hawks, after a new report from Congress found that most U.S. corporations and foreign firms in the U.S. pay no federal income tax. In 2005, 38,000 foreign and 1.2 million U.S. firms, with combined sales of $2.5 trillion, avoided U.S. income taxes, the Government Accountability Office said. Losses, tax credits, and filing under individual tax codes were given as possible explanations. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week