GOOD DAY FOR: Working for the weekend, after Chrysler proposed changing its work week to four 10-hour days. Chrysler said the move, which needs approval from the United Auto Workers, could save significant amounts of money. “I would suspect a majority of employees would probably be in favor of something like this these days,” said Chrysler spokesman Ed Saenz. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Deficit hawks, after a new report from Congress found that most U.S. corporations and foreign firms in the U.S. pay no federal income tax. In 2005, 38,000 foreign and 1.2 million U.S. firms, with combined sales of $2.5 trillion, avoided U.S. income taxes, the Government Accountability Office said. Losses, tax credits, and filing under individual tax codes were given as possible explanations. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week