GOOD DAY FOR: Foreign friends, after Facebook vaulted past rival MySpace to become the world’s largest social networking site, with 132 million members, 63 percent of whom are outside of North America. Facebook attributes its international success to the fact that its site has been translated into 89 languages. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: BlackBerry, after Best Buy reached a deal to become the first independent retailer to sell Apple’s iPhone, starting Sept. 7. Best Buy’s 970 U.S. stores will join Apple and AT&T stores in selling the “smart” phone, helping Apple reach its goal of selling 10 million by year’s end. For Best Buy, “it solidifies us as the place to go for the cool stuff,” said Best Buy Mobile president Shawn Score. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week