OOD DAY FOR: Foreign friends, after Facebook vaulted past rival MySpace to become the world’s largest social networking site, with 132 million members, 63 percent of whom are outside of North America. Facebook attributes its international success to the fact that its site has been translated into 89 languages. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: BlackBerry, after Best Buy reached a deal to become the first independent retailer to sell Apple’s iPhone, starting Sept. 7. Best Buy’s 970 U.S. stores will join Apple and AT&T stores in selling the “smart” phone, helping Apple reach its goal of selling 10 million by year’s end. For Best Buy, “it solidifies us as the place to go for the cool stuff,” said Best Buy Mobile president Shawn Score. (Reuters)
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Did Paul Ryan just throw in the towel on 2016?
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week