OOD DAY FOR: Foreign friends, after Facebook vaulted past rival MySpace to become the world’s largest social networking site, with 132 million members, 63 percent of whom are outside of North America. Facebook attributes its international success to the fact that its site has been translated into 89 languages. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: BlackBerry, after Best Buy reached a deal to become the first independent retailer to sell Apple’s iPhone, starting Sept. 7. Best Buy’s 970 U.S. stores will join Apple and AT&T stores in selling the “smart” phone, helping Apple reach its goal of selling 10 million by year’s end. For Best Buy, “it solidifies us as the place to go for the cool stuff,” said Best Buy Mobile president Shawn Score. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week