GOOD DAY FOR: Foreign friends, after Facebook vaulted past rival MySpace to become the world’s largest social networking site, with 132 million members, 63 percent of whom are outside of North America. Facebook attributes its international success to the fact that its site has been translated into 89 languages. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: BlackBerry, after Best Buy reached a deal to become the first independent retailer to sell Apple’s iPhone, starting Sept. 7. Best Buy’s 970 U.S. stores will join Apple and AT&T stores in selling the “smart” phone, helping Apple reach its goal of selling 10 million by year’s end. For Best Buy, “it solidifies us as the place to go for the cool stuff,” said Best Buy Mobile president Shawn Score. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week