GOOD DAY FOR: Foreign friends, after Facebook vaulted past rival MySpace to become the world’s largest social networking site, with 132 million members, 63 percent of whom are outside of North America. Facebook attributes its international success to the fact that its site has been translated into 89 languages. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: BlackBerry, after Best Buy reached a deal to become the first independent retailer to sell Apple’s iPhone, starting Sept. 7. Best Buy’s 970 U.S. stores will join Apple and AT&T stores in selling the “smart” phone, helping Apple reach its goal of selling 10 million by year’s end. For Best Buy, “it solidifies us as the place to go for the cool stuff,” said Best Buy Mobile president Shawn Score. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
When Americans banned Christmas
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week