“Anyone who’s wavered on his or her opinion of Tyra Banks might want to step back and rethink things,” said Rebecca Armendariz in a Washington Blade blog, now that “there’s going to be a transgender contestant on the next season of America’s Next Top Model!” Letting “male-to-female aspiring model, Isis” compete is a big step for the show, and great news.
It’s kind of surprising, though, said the blog Zimbio. One of Tyra’s “favorite ways to belittle contestants” on the show is to “point out how much they look like drag queens.” In the past, several contestants were “made fun of for their supposed masculinity.” What’s Tyra going to say now?
The whole thing is just a publicity stunt anyway, said the blog I’m a Pazzo Kevin. “Previous twists in past ANTM seasons have been to include contestants who are lesbian, bisexual, plus size, autistic, and twins.” This season, it’s a transgender girl. It seems like Tyra will do anything to boost ratings.
“I honestly don’t know how I feel about this,” said the blog It’s not you. It’s not me. It’s TV! On one hand, it’s great that Tyra is giving the spotlight to a transgender person. But on the other, Tyra could be exploiting Isis. “I wonder if this poor girl’s dreams will be crushed on national TV just for the sake of good” television.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- When will the Big One strike California?
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week