OOD DAY FOR: Driving down demand, after the Federal Highway Administration said U.S. motorists logged 4.7 percent fewer miles in June, compared with a year earlier, the eighth monthly drop in miles driven. Americans drove 250.2 billion miles in June, a drop of 12.2 billion miles from June 2007. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: United Artists, after Paula Wagner, the now-ex-business partner of Tom Cruise, stepped down as head of the studio she was hired to revive. MGM chief Harry Sloan recruited Wagner and Cruise in 2006 to return UA to its former glory, but Wagner reportedly was unable to turn out enough films; UA released just one film, a flop, during her tenure. The studio’s imminent comeback now seems unlikely. (Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week