OOD DAY FOR: Driving down demand, after the Federal Highway Administration said U.S. motorists logged 4.7 percent fewer miles in June, compared with a year earlier, the eighth monthly drop in miles driven. Americans drove 250.2 billion miles in June, a drop of 12.2 billion miles from June 2007. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: United Artists, after Paula Wagner, the now-ex-business partner of Tom Cruise, stepped down as head of the studio she was hired to revive. MGM chief Harry Sloan recruited Wagner and Cruise in 2006 to return UA to its former glory, but Wagner reportedly was unable to turn out enough films; UA released just one film, a flop, during her tenure. The studio’s imminent comeback now seems unlikely. (Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- How Captain America won over China
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- 3 ways elephants and neuroscience can help you make better decisions
Subscribe to the Week