.S. home foreclosure filings rose 55 percent in July, versus a year earlier, and bank repossessions jumped 184 percent, RealtyTrac said today. One in every 464 houses is now in some stage of foreclosure. “It’s getting worse,” said RealtyTrac’s Rick Sharga. “The number of properties that have been foreclosed on by the banks and still haven’t sold is the highest we’ve ever seen.” Home valuation site Zillow reported earlier this week that a third of home sellers sold their house at a loss in the second quarter. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
Subscribe to the Week