The Case Against Barack Obama
by David Freddoso (Regnery $28)
Of the two major “negative biographies” to be published about Barack Obama this month, said Ben Smith in Politico.com, this is the more “fact-based critique.” For a compilation of derogatory rumors, look instead to Jerome Corsi’s Obama Nation. The National Review’s David Freddoso apparently believes that voters will reject Obama if they simply learn more about his failures to take on the Chicago political machine and his support of “doctrinaire” liberal causes.
The Way of the World
by Ron Suskind (Harper, $28)
Ron Suskind’s latest dark portrait of the Bush-era power game is “an irritating example of overreaching,” said Tim Rutten in the Los Angeles Times. Though the book includes a few fresh and important allegations, it fails to weave its profiles of several contemporary Americans into a broad portrait of the post-9/11 commonwealth. The Way of the World is “structurally a mess,” and its “faux poetics” simply grate.
by Dick Morris and Eileen McGann (Harper, $27)
Dick Morris’ new best-seller takes a buckshot approach to airing political grievances, said Gilbert Cruz in Time. The onetime Clinton confidant’s many targets include a few “straw men, “and not everyone will agree with Morris’ grim assessment of Barack Obama’s policies. But he has a real flair for amplifying populist anger, and “it’s impossible to argue” that lobbyists, credit card companies, and housing-crisis profiteers aren’t “deserving of scorn.”
The Way We’ll Be
by John Zogby (Random House, $26)
Pollster John Zogby sees a much brighter future ahead, said Janet Maslin in The New York Times. Extrapolating from the results of his firm’s inventive surveys, Zogby has relabeled America’s post–World War II generations and become smitten with the youngest cohort. Cynicism, he says, is about to “bottom out.” Tomorrow’s American majority “will be less materialistic, less tolerant of baloney,” and “more closely linked to the rest of the world.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week